5.23.2010

Neabsco

It is time to begin presenting some of the pieces slated for my show, 10 MILE RADIUS: Landscapes Near The Workhouse. I am so excited by and proud of this body of work and I invite you to come by to see it.

Near the far southern end of my 10 mile radius, Neabsco refers to the sandstone formation named by the Native Americans and located on the Potomac in Prince William County, VA. The feature is within Leesylvania State Park, homestead of Lighthorse Henry Lee, grandfather of Robert E. Lee. To locals, the area is called Freestone Point.

I've often wondered how much farther out the point extended, as people would come from far and wide to procure the sandstone; this work relates to a photograph I took not long ago. It has been great fun painting a local, and perhaps obscure, landmark which has been a cherished free stone destination for centuries. For us, the park has been the location of many Junior Ranger camps and overnighters for years. I consider the rugged beach and its breeze to be my instant vacation each time I go.

Neabsco
soft pastel on Pastelbord with watercolor underpainting
9x12
SOLD

No comments: