9.28.2011

Fort Willoughby


Oh the rains! So I paint inside.

In the spirit of my ambitious underpainting demo at Fairfax Art League on Saturday, here's a bit of step by step as inspired by a recent Pastel Journal demo by Robert K. Carsten. I enjoy painting rock formations and his first demo really caught my eye.

On a piece of Gessobord, I began with a thick and textured layer of Golden's Fine Pumice Gel. Some parts were made fluffy with my brush, others shaped with a palette knife. Then it dried overnight.


I chose several values to force in the tooth as a preliminary layer of pastel.


Next, I brushed on rubbing alcohol.


Finally, I worked in foliage with additional pastels and used the texture to catch bits of pastel in order to create extra depth.


Fort Willoughby, USVI
pastel with alcohol underpainting
8x10

No comments: