12.01.2008

Two from Southern California

We began our trip out west with a drive into the Mojave so we could tour Goldstone and see Ft. Irwin up close and personal, the latter a place which impacted our family many times over.

We arrived early for our 1pm Deep Space Network tour, so I took the chance to paint my first visions of the desert right at the Goldstone gate. Of any work attempted for the week, I wish I'd had more time for this one. I could have spent the week (or a lifetime!) here. The skies were unusually dark that day, but we did briefly get a peek of blue here and there.

Goldstone Crests
5x8.5" Wallis Belgian Mist

The next day, we trekked up to Eureka, stopping in Monterey for dinner on Fisherman's Wharf. We went to a lovely restaurant, Old Fisherman's Grotto, near dusk, as I was coming to the realization that painting trips in the winter with light fading by 5pm are not my preferred future. I was, however, able to sit at a table with a beautiful view. I guess this means it wasn't done en plein air? Oh my. Regardless, I enjoyed capturing dusk in a dusky day.

From Monterey Fisherman's Wharf
5x8.5" Cream Art Spectrum ColorFix